There is a lot party planners can do to prevent waste at private and public events.
Planning a waste-free event
Choose reusable plates, utensils, cups and packaging whenever possible.
- If it is not possible to use reusable items, choose recyclable or compostable containers or minimally packaged goods instead.
- Confirm what can and cannot be recycled or composted and communicate it with everybody involved in the event, including vendors and attendees.
- Create “sorting stations” with one recycling bin, one compost container and one trash can at each. This makes it easy for guests to sort their materials properly.
- Make sure the recycling and composting options are promoted and clearly marked during the event to encourage proper use of all the containers.
- Plan ahead, and if needed, hire pick-up services for proper collection and disposal of recycling, trash, and food scraps.
- Staff waste stations with trained volunteers.
Contact us at 674-4474 if you have questions or would like to work with our Outreach and Education Coordinator.
Borrow containers for events:
SWWCSWMD will lend free recycling containers plus one bag per container, to make your next local event near zero-waste. (For short-term events only. If you need containers for extended use, please consider purchasing them.)
What to do:
- Call 674-9235 to reserve containers. Requests are fulfilled on a first-come, first-reserved basis.
- Pick up the bins at SWWCSWMD administrative offices (38 Ascutney Park Road, Ascutney).
- Provide a clearly labeled recycling and composting bin (if used) next to every trash can.
- Keep track of the number of bags of trash, recycling and compostables collected.
- Dispose of recyclables and compostables appropriately.
- Return containers to SWWCSWMD and report event attendance and waste produced so we can track how much material this program keeps out of our landfills.
ClearStream recycling system for bottles and cans.
The after-party – disposal:
Options for disposing of your event recycling, food scraps, and trash:
- Hire a private hauler,
- Check the Yellow Pages, or,
- Go to the Trash and Recycling Haulers page.
*** Always empty recyclables out of plastic bags into Dumpsters or roll-offs.
The ultimate destination for recyclables does not accept plastic bags or filmy plastic of any kind.
Recycling and Composting Signs:
Click here for recycling, composting, trash, and food donation signs that can be downloaded for use on containers at special events (or anytime).
For a helpful flyer about running a (nearly) zero-waste event, be it a wedding, festival, or farmers market, click here.