For details about the household hazardous waste collection, backyard composting, and information about buying a backyard compost bin, click here to read and/or print out a Ludlow-specific 2022 newsletter.

Residents can bring their recycling and trash to the Ludlow Transfer Station at 336 Route 100 in South Ludlow.  Or they can choose to contract with a private hauler for trash removal and recycling services.

Hours of operation: 
Tuesday     8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Thursday   8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday    8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sunday       8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Contact:  Patty Potter at 228-2846

Permits are required for all vehicles using the Transfer Station and must be attached to the lower right-hand passenger side of the windshield.
Permits may not be transferred between vehicles. 

TRANSFER STATION PERMIT FEES (for the complete list, click here)

  • Residential $25.00 (includes 52 transfer-station-logoed disposal bags)
  • Additional Residential $10.00
  • Residential Replacement Permit  $10.00
  • Business $75.00 (+ $0.10/lb.) 
  • Additional Business $50.00 (+ $0.10/lb.)
  • Commercial $125.00 (+ $0.10/lb.) 
  • Additional Commercial $75.00 (+ $0.10/lb.) 

Please note: Occasional (2-3 times/year) non-permitted vehicles will be permitted to go over the scale and be charged $0.10/lb. or $3 for a 30-gallon bag. There is no fee for recycling.
To obtain a permit to use the Ludlow Transfer Station you must comply with the following requirements: 

Residential Permit: Must be a homeowner in the Town/Village of Ludlow    
Proof Accepted:  Voters’ Checklist, Grand List, lease or rental contract (if renting in Ludlow)

Business Permit: Must be a business domiciled in the Town/Village of Ludlow  
Proof Accepted:  Voters’ Checklist, Grand List, lease or rental contract

Commercial Permit: Must be a Ludlow-domiciled business, or service Ludlow residents or businesses    
Proof Accepted:  Voters’ Checklist, Grand List, list of customers serviced in the Town/Village of Ludlow
Residential Permits can be purchased at the Municipal Office or the Transfer Station. Business and Commercial Permits can only be purchased at the Transfer Station. Please be prepared to provide the above verifications at the time of purchase, along with your vehicle registration.

IMPORTANT: If you are a valid permit holder and borrow someone else’s vehicle (truck) for disposal, you must bring your permitted vehicle along with you to the Transfer Station.

Renters/Family Members: If family members or renters will be living in your residence (part-time or full-time), those individuals must present documentation from the homeowner stating that they will be living in the residence and must indicate the length of stay.

APPEAL PROCESS: Any person or business may appeal the above requirements, first to the Municipal Manager, and then to the Ludlow Select Board.

Food Scraps – free of charge
Empty your food scraps into one of the toters.  What is acceptable? – milk, cheese, dairy, fruit and vegetables, condiments and dressings, coffee grounds, filters, seafood and shells, fats, oils, spices, soups (please strain)  “If it Grows, it goes!”

NOT acceptable: meat and bones, all paper products, bioplastics (PLA/PHA), condiment packets, straws/containers, rubber bands, twist ties, PLU stickers (Price Look-Up codes on fresh produce), packaging/recyclables, dishware/silverware, florist flowers (may contain chemical fungicides)

All together: Aluminum and steel cans, aluminum foil and pie plates, plastics #1 and #2, boxboard (ex. cereal and pasta boxes), all paper products
Glass bottles and jars go into another container.
Corrugated boxes go into another container.
Deposit (5 cent) bottles and cans go into another container.


  • Clean Styrofoam peanuts and bubblewrap are accepted in clear plastic bags.
  • Computers, monitors, peripherals, printers, and TVs from Vermont households, businesses with up to ten employees, school districts, and charities
  • Drop off old cell phones and inkjet cartridges at the Transfer Station or see staff.
  • If you separate your materials at home, you will have an easier (and faster) time at the Recycling Center.  
  • Remember to keep construction and demolition materials (wood, roofing, tiles, old furniture, etc.) in a separate load. 
  • Scrap materials (pipe, lawn mowers, tin roofing, car parts, etc.) will also need to be kept separate.  
  • The garbage compactor should only be used for household garbage – no glass, metal, or wood! 

Bag and Bring:

  • Clean and Dry Clothing:  all types, including ripped, stained, and out-of-fashion
  • Shoes – bagged separately from clothing
  • Clean and Dry Linens: blankets sheets towels, curtains (including ripped or stained)
  • Belts, Purses, Hats, Mittens, Gloves, Coats, Socks
  • Stuffed Animals

SWAP SHOP RULES: You must check with a Transfer Station staff member before placing items in the Swap Shop.  No TVs, computers, printers, fax machines, stereos, or speakers will be taken in the Swap Shop.  The cost for disposal of those items will vary according to size and weight, although some are free.


Be sure to call 802-228-2846 for information on the disposal of household hazardous waste such as bathroom cleaners, pesticides and nail polish remover.  Your solid waste district holds free events annually – sites vary.

$15.00 each (includes air conditioner, dehumidifier, freezer, refrigerator, stove, washer, dryer, hot water heater, furnace and anything with Freon) 

BALLASTS (electrical):  $3 each


  • $5.00 each for lead acid (automotive).  All household batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9v) and Ni-cad batteries, rechargeables, cell phone and hearing aid (button) batteries – no charge.

$0.07/lb. for any/all brush for residents, businesses and commercial  (Please note – $2 minimum brush disposal charge at Manager’s discretion.) Wood chips and compost mulch are free when available.

Compost Pile

Organic lawn and garden waste only:

  • Leaves
  • Grass clippings
  • Weeds
  • Garden debris
  • House plants
  • Twigs less than 1/4 in. in diameter

Please, do not dump brush, plastic flowers, clay pots, toys, broken window glass, bags of dog and cat residue, or trash of any kind in this area. Unless asked not to, please empty bags of yard waste onto the compost pile.

$0.07 per lb./$140.00 per ton (wood, Sheetrock, tiles, shingles, insulation, etc.)

Vermont’s Electronic Waste law banned the disposal of many electronic devices in landfills as of January 1, 2011.  The law also provides for the free and convenient collection of computers, TVs, printers, monitors and peripherals (keyboards, mice, etc.) from Vermont households charities, school districts and businesses with up to 10 employees.  Collections began July 1, 2011.  Other electronic waste must also be recycled, but there is a fee. Please see the Transfer Station staff.



FURNITURE: $0.07/lb. – (vehicles must go over scale)

$5.00 each for twin or full size (two or more – $0.07 per lb.)
$7.00 each for queen or king size (two or more – $0.07 per lb.)

Pipe, lawn mowers, tin roofing, car parts – no charge

$1.00 for 1-lb. tank; $5.00 for 20-lb. tank; $10.00 for 30- to 100-lb. tank 

$5 per roll (10′ x 10′) or $0.07 per lb. (2 or more)

$3.00 each for auto tires off the rim
$7.00 each for auto tires on the rim, up to 16 inches
$0.08 per lb. over 16 inches 
This facility DOES NOT accept any type of hazardous waste or toxic materials. For disposal information, please call the Transfer Station directly at 802-228-2846.

Empty/dry metal paint cans (covers removed) go into the scrap metal pile. Latex, as well as oil-based paint, is now accepted at the District’s two annual household hazardous waste collections in spring and fall.

In addition, several retailers in the District accept paint year-round at the following locations:

  • Aubuchon Hardware in Ludlow
  • LaValley Building Supply in Ludlow
  • Bibens Home Center in Springfield
  • Sherwin-Williams in Springfield
  • Aubuchon Hardware in Windsor

These retailers only accept paint in labeled, non-rusty cans. Bring all other paint cans to a household hazardous waste collection.

To receive less national advertising mail, the Direct Mail Association has a program called DMAchoice.  To register, click on “Get Started.”  The organization will charge $1.00 to place your name and home address in a “do-not-mail” file for three years.

Catalog choice is a great way to cut down on unwanted catalogs that show up in your mailbox. Click on to find out more information.