For details about the household hazardous waste collection, backyard composting, and information about buying a backyard compost bin, click here to read and/or print out a Weathersfield-specific 2022 newsletter.

Residents can bring their recycling and trash to the Weathersfield Transfer Station and Recycling Center at 5024 Rt. 106 in Perkinsville. (From Downers 4 Corners, go north on 106 for almost ½ mile.  Recycling Center is on left.) Or residents can contract with a private hauler for trash removal and recycling services.

Hours of operation:
Wednesday 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sunday   12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Contact:  Tyler Waters at 263-5651

Trash: Punch Card System
To dispose of trash at the transfer station, first obtain a current vehicle access sticker from the Weathersfield Town Offices. Then purchase a punch card(s) at the following locations:

  • The Weathersfield Town Offices
  • Downer’s Corners Store in Perkinsville
  • Sunoco Gas Station in Ascutney

30-gallon trash bag = one punch

Food Scraps – free of charge until August 1, 2021
Empty your food scraps into one of the toters.  What is acceptable? –  meat and bones, milk, cheese, dairy, fruit and vegetables, condiments and dressings, coffee grounds, filters, seafood and shells, fats, oils, spices, soups (please strain)  “If it Grows, it goes!”

NOT acceptable: all paper products, bioplastics (PLA/PHA), condiment packets, straws/containers, rubber bands, twist ties, PLU stickers (Price Look-Up codes on fresh produce), packaging/recyclables, dishware/silverware, florist flowers (may contain chemical fungicides)

Drop your recyclables, free-of-charge, into the following containers:

  1. glass jars and bottles   OR
  2. corrugated cardboard (flattened), paper and boxboard, plastic food, detergent, and beverage containers (#1- #7)(no Styrofoam), aluminum cans, aluminum foil and containers, steel cans 

The roll-off containers for scrap steel and construction waste are located to the right side of the facility near where you dispose of your household trash.

Where do the recycled materials go? The roll-off container for glass will be transported to Springfield, Vermont where the glass will be crushed for use as pea-stone in construction projects.

Questions? Please call the Transfer Station or call the Town Hall at 674-2626.

We take batteries! AA, AAA, C, D, 9v, hearing aid button batteries and rechargeables are recyclable. Rechargeable batteries are commonly found in cordless power tools, cellular and cordless phones, laptop computers, camcorders, remote control toys, and portable household appliances.  When the batteries can no longer hold a charge, bring them to the Recycling Center. Button batteries (in hearing aids, watches, calculators, cameras, etc.) contain mercury and must be recycled.

Effective January 1, 2007 it is illegal to use a lead sinker which weighs one-half ounce or less to fish in Vermont.  Bring sinkers to the Recycling Center.


At the Transfer Station we also accept the following for a number of punchcard punches:  (For a full schedule of disposal costs, click on

Batteries:  automotive (free); sealed wet cell

Clean wood

Couch, Hide-a-Bed, or Loveseat; Upholstered Chair

Drums:  empty – no charge; 55-gallon or 275-gallon – to be determined by attendant

Electronics: computers, computer monitors, CRT-containing devices, printers, and TVs  are FREE, other electronics may incur a charge

Fiberglass Panels/Enclosures

Fluorescent Bulbs:  Free fluorescent bulb (tubes and compacts) recycling at the transfer station – no limit on bulbs; 10 tubes per visit

Junk Vehicles:  Not Accepted

Logs (chunk wood):  Not Accepted

Mattress/Box Springs:  twin mattress; full mattress; queen or king mattress; twin or full-sized box springs; queen- or king-sized box springs

Microwave: small, medium, large, built-in microwave

Porcelain Fixtures

Propane Tanks:  20 lb.; 30 lb.; 100 lb.; 250 lb.

Refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, freezers: punches for Freon removal

Rugs, carpets: fee depends upon size

Table, Non-upholstered chair 

Tires:  15″ and under; 16″; 20″; 22″; heavy-duty truck; tires on rims, add punches

Vacuum Cleaner 

Asphalt Shingles:  Level pick-up load – fee depends upon size of truck

Construction and Demolition, Gypsum (non-burnable):  less than 8 foot truckbed; 8 foot truckbed; larger than 3 tons not accepted

Land-clearing Debris:  brush only – no stumps

Compost Pile

Organic lawn and garden waste only:

  • Leaves
  • Grass clippings
  • Weeds
  • Garden debris
  • House plants
  • Twigs less than 1/4 in. in diameter

Please, do not dump brush, plastic flowers, clay pots, toys, broken window glass, bags of dog and cat residue, or trash of any kind in this area. Unless asked not to, please empty bags of yard waste onto the compost pile.

FREE recycling of certain e-waste (computers, computer monitors, CRT-containing devices, printers, and TVs) began on July 1, 2011. For the details, click on the Department of Environmental Conservation’s website.  Vermont is the twenty-first state in the country to enact an e-waste law.  The program is open only to Vermont residents, charities, school districts, and small businesses with up to ten employees. In our District, the Cavendish, Ludlow, Rockingham, Springfield and Weathersfield transfer stations are registered as free collection sites. Any Vermont resident can recycle their e-waste at those sites.
Most televisions and computer monitors contain an average of four pounds of lead in addition to cadmium, mercury,and other heavy metals used in the circuit boards.  Exposure to these elements can lead to serious health problems, which is why proper disposal of electronics is important.


Empty/dry metal paint cans (covers removed) go in with scrap metal. Latex, as well as oil-based paint, is now accepted at the District’s annual household hazardous waste collections.

In addition, several retailers in the District accept paint year-round at the following locations:

  • Aubuchon Hardware in Windsor
  • Bibens Home Center in Springfield
  • Sherwin-Williams in Springfield
  • LaValley Building Supply in Ludlow

These retailers only accept pain in labeled, non-rusty cans. Bring all other paint cans to the household hazardous waste collections.

Eyeglasses and Hearing Aids
The local non-profit Lions Club collects used eyeglasses and hearing aids for distribution to the needy in developing nations. All types of eyeglasses and sunglasses, prescription and non-prescription, are acceptable. Reading glasses, too.  No eyeglass cases.  Look for the yellow Lions collection box by the exit at the Windsor Price Chopper.

Compost Bins
Tired of paying to dispose of all of your kitchen scraps?  Compost them in your own backyard.  Through the Solid Waste District, you can purchase a compost bin and how-to guide at less than half of the retail price. Need another incentive?  Organics rotting in landfills add to greenhouse gas emissions and global warming.  And, as of July 1, 2020, diverting food scraps from Vermont’s one landfill is a state law. For more information, call 674-9235.

Open Burning
Weathersfield has an open burning ordinance and with good reason.  Decades ago, most trash consisted of only paper, cardboard, and glass. Today, however, manufacturers use a host of synthetics in packaging, most of which release carcinogenic toxins into the air and soil when burned.  Please do your part to protect Vermont’s public and environmental health from toxics; talk to your neighbors about the dangers associated with burning trash.

To receive less national advertising mail, the Direct Mail Association has a program called DMAchoice. To register, click on “Get Started.”  The organization will charge a small fee to place your name and home address in a “do-not-mail” file for several years.

Catalog Choice is a great way to cut down on unwanted catalogs that show up in your mailbox.  Click on to find out more information.

Household Hazardous Waste
Your Solid Waste District sponsors collections annually for the collection and safe disposal of HHW.  Residents and businesses from all member towns may participate. Businesses will be charged a fee and must pre-register.  No pre-registration required for residents.  Call 674-9235 for more info.

What to bring: Most substances with labels that say:  Caustic, Toxic, Corrosive, Poison, Flammable, Warning

From the Garden/Yard/House:  insecticides, herbicides,  chemical fertilizers, rodent killer, metal polish, pool chemicals, photography chemicals, flea powder, no-pest strips, toilet & drain cleaner, oven cleaner, mothballs, lighter fluid, bathroom cleaners, chemistry sets, arts & crafts supplies, bleaches, mercury thermometers, rug cleaner

From the Garage/Workbench: antifreeze, brake fluid, gasoline, transmission fluid, engine & radiator flusher, engine degreaser, carburetor cleaner, gas treatments, Xenon halogen headlight bulbs (blue-tinted), plastic fuel filters, rust proofers, wood preservatives, sealants, solvents, creosote, roofing tar, driveway sealer, muriatic acid, varnish, paint thinner, wood strippers and stains, latex, lead- and oil-based paints. Properly drained metal fuel filters can be recycled with scrap metal.

DO NOT bring: fluorescent bulbs or tubes, batteries, used motor oil, dry creosote, asbestos, radioactive material, empty containers, fireworks, tires, medical waste, or ammunition.